Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reason #1: I will organize the heck out of your files.



I have always been incredibly organized and tidy. This particular trait became apparent quite early on. My parents still love to talk about how, as a first-grader, I was so eerily consistent about doing my homework and putting it in my backpack before bed that they considered taking the homework out of my backpack so that I would see it was OK if I messed up. (In the end, they elected not to interfere, and one fateful day in April, I finally arrived at school, opened my folder, and realized I had left my worksheet sitting on the kitchen table. Although I still remember feeling my stomach drop in panic, it turned out not be a big deal.)

In the years since first grade, I'll be the first to admit that I've spaced on a few assignments and deadlines here and there, but I remain one of the more organized people I know. Right now, I work three freelance jobs and volunteer for two organizations, and I have yet to miss a deadline, fail to show up for work, or bring the wrong materials to a meeting. I can do this in part because I am good about writing to-do lists and putting meetings on my calendar, but I was also just born with an organized brain. I won't go so far as to say that filing or alphabetizing are my favorite pastimes, but I do actually experience a certain satisfaction in organizing big stacks of paper that used to be jumbled messes. (I'm also one of those shoppers who puts clothes back on hangers.)  I like knowing where things are, when they're due, and what I need to do to get them done, all of which has served me well in the working world. 

Here are a few concrete examples of how my organizational skills manifest themselves:
  • Almost every message in my Gmail inbox is labeled. Once I've responded to it, it gets filed in a labeled folder for future reference. 
  • Ditto for my "My Documents" folder.
  • I keep a planner. 
  • I use my planner. 
  • I don't have a closet, so all my clothes are kept folded on shelves. 
  • I remember birthdays, usually because they are written down in my planner. 
  • I have never been late paying a credit card bill. 
  • Friends, colleagues, and family members have been begging me to organize their desks, studios, offices, and lives since I was in middle school. 
In short, you should hire me because I will organize the heck out of your files, inbox, and database.

2 comments:

  1. I lived with Elizabeth for 3 years, and must say that she is fabulous in every way. Elizabeth is a catch professionally, and a dear friend. You should hire her -- have her write for you, multitask for you, organize for you and even cook for you. You will not be dissapointed. She's an innovative and creative thinker, extremely responsible and thoughtful, and fun to be around. Why wait?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana! I really appreciate the kind words. For the record, I think YOU'RE a dear friend, a fabulous person, and... a professional catch? That doesn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete