Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Unemployment Mix


OK, OK, so technically I'm employed, but "unemployment mix" sounds much better than "underemployed and a little bit desperate mix," so that's what I'm going to call it. Here's the track list so far:
  • Under Pressure, Queen
  • Money (That's What I Want), The Supremes (or maybe someone else)
  • Everything's Just Wonderful, Lily Allen
  • Unemployed in the Summertime, Emiliana Torrini
  • Charm School, Bishop Allen
  • This is Not a Test, She and Him
  • You Can't Always Get What You Want OR Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones
  • Coffee's Cold, Abigail Washburn
  • Carry That Weight, The Beatles
  • You Ain't Going Nowhere, Bob Dylan
And here are a few more that I think might be a bit of a stretch but are still under consideration:
  • Respect, the one and only Aretha Franklin
  • Ain't Wasting No More Time, The Allman Brothers 
  • I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for, U2
  • Legend in My Living Room, Annie Lennox
  • Young Woman's Blues, Bessie Smith
  • Blindsided, Bon Iver
  • The Underdog, Spoon
I assumed someone who knows more about music than I do would have made a seriously amazing unemployment mix by now, but despite repeated attempts to locate it on iTunes or Google, I haven't come up with a thing. Strange, right? Am I just looking in the wrong places?

5 comments:

  1. "Money" was originally recorded by Barrett Strong and was his only success as a performer, though he later cowrote such classics as "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and "Papa Was a Rolling Stone." The remake by Flying Lizards was big when we were in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And would it be too cruel to suggest "Get a Job," by the Silhouettes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Barrett Strong did the original recording of "Money," but I like the version by The Supremes. And I will definitely consider adding "Get a Job" to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two more to consider: "Call Me" (Al Green) and "If I Had a Million Dollars" (Barenaked Ladies)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are two EXCELLENT suggestions. Thanks, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete